.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Saving money while you commute and earning money online

I’m trying to win an iPad 2 in the iSave, iWrite, iPad competition from PlayPennies.com! So here's a money saving tip:

As a long suffering user of London Underground, and having moved house so my commute has increased from 25 minutes to over an hour, I was happy when a friend showed me My Tube Was LATE.com. It's a handy site that, once you have set up your details, automatically fills out the forms for you to get a refund from Transport For London whenever your Tube journey is delayed by 15 minutes or more. If you let it know the normal times of your journeys and the lines you take it even emails you to tell you when a line was delayed that might have affected your journey. It just takes a few clicks, then sit back and wait for your refund voucher to be sent through the post.

Typically my journey hasn't been delayed for a few weeks, but I still have a pile of vouchers waiting to be cashed in when I buy a new travel card. I may even be able to claim back more than the daily cost of a ticket during the upcoming Tube strikes, if I don't choose to watch CBeebies all day work from home.

Boris wants you to save money

Not only will you save money, but it might even make the Tubes more punctual. If everyone on the Jubilee line used this service I imagine it would make Boris cry!

I also make a bit of extra money working online with clickworker.com. Clickworker is a site to distribute crowdsourced work. I do all the work while watching TV or looking after the baby. The work can be anything from writing about travel destinations (most of which I've never been to) or researching companies online. Last month I earned more than €60, paid straight into my paypal account. Just 20 more months like that and I can afford the rest of the Star Wars Stormtrooper armour that my wife won't let me have.

Joe trooper

If you sign up to clickworker.com through my link and earn $10 I will earn $5 for referring you.

Watch out for free listing days on eBay. It's free listings all this weekend, so it's a good time to clear out your cupboards. Take a good picture of the item you want to sell (the first picture is free but you pay more for extra pictures) and weigh the item to work out the postage cost at RoyalMail.com (don't forget to add the cost of any packaging like a jiffy bag). I normally offer more than one postage rate so that people don't have to choose 1st class recorded mail if they don't want to. Set a sensible starting price. Have a look to see if other people are selling the same item, or check the completed listings to see what it has sold for previously. There's nothing wrong with starting at 99p, if your item is going to sell people will bid the price up anyway.

I'm selling some junk valuable collectibles that have just been sitting in a cupboard taking up space. Hopefully they will fetch a good price and add to my Stormtrooper armour fund.

Visit PlayPennies.com for more money saving ideas for pennywise parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home